The First 100+ Days
curated by Christina Vassallo
May 5 - June 30, 2017
SPACES / Cleveland, OH
The First 100+ Days is an exhibition comprised of Ohio-based artists' responses to the initial phase of Trump's term, specifically with regard to his immigration policy. The artworks feature stories from immigrant and refugee communities in the US, address the practical application of this administration's direction, consider how the media influences our political discourse, and capture the radical potential of artistic activism. The hard-hitting and varied responses from artists living in a strategically positioned swing state are supported by a timeline of actions taken since January 20, 2017 to introduce, enact, and protest changing immigration policy during this time of political urgency and uncertainty.
Exhibition participants: Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association of Cleveland, Julia Christensen, Ryan Dewey, Michelangelo Lovelace, Home Affairs (Arzu Ozkal, Claudia Pederson, Nanette Yannuzzi), Tony Ingrisano, Kelley O'Brien, Darice Polo, John C. Williams, and Megan Young. The exhibition is curated by SPACES Executive Director, Christina Vassallo, with assistance from Karl Anderson.
A full calendar of events scheduled to explore US immigration policy outside of the exhibition format.
- Members of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association of Cleveland will participate in The First 100+ Days opening reception with their "Meet a Muslim" campaign. They will be available to increase understanding of Islam and engage with questions audience members may have about issues related to Muslim immigration.
- Civics & Sandwiches, a viewing party at SPACES of the City Club's forum on the first 100 days of Trump's presidency.
- FamilySPACES, art-making activities to help you talk with your kids about the changing world.
- SPACES presents All Welcome Community Potluck, in collaboration with Global Table, Jazmin Long of Global Cleveland, immigration lawyer Elizabeth Ryser, and Refugee Response Executive Director Patrick Kearns.
- Artists and architects are invited to submit US-Canada border wall designs to The Unofficial Global Barrier-Centric Design Competition. Shortlisted entries will be judged on this day, in front of a live jury.
- Have dinner with members of the City Club at SPACES and use The First 100+ Days exhibition as a starting point for conversation.
We knew we'd ruffle a few feathers with an exhibition like this, so we made a trailer to explain ourselves.